Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What Happened to the Weather?!!!!

Can we rewind to Saturday? What happened to my beautiful weather. While the snow is beautiful also, I could do without the incredible winds. I feel like the Little House on the Prairie is gonna be pick up and land somewhere else - like with Dorothy and Toto in the Wizard of Oz!

We are anxiously awaiting Dr. Diaz's arrival. Unfortunately, we haven't heard how far he has made it or if he even was able to leave New Mexico. We do hope he is all right and pray for his safety if he is on the road. I expect we will here from him soon.

As for yesterdays appointment, we were able to visit at length with Dr. McCollum. He had located some of the genetic testing that he had ordered early on that answered one of our questions. There is some "targeted" therapy that could be of assistance in treating Mark. This means that rather than treating all cells, the cancer as well as healthy cells, it would Target only the cancer cells. It seems that about 50% of colon cancers are of a non-mutated form and can be treated with this medicine. Mark falls into this group. This medicine (an hour infusion) targets the protein that sends the signal to the nucleus of a cancer cell telling it to divide and grow. It blocks that signal from being transmitted. It has few side effects outside of a skin rash that occurs and resolves after time. The drawback is that it works best when combined with chemotherapy. Mark is still firm on no more chemotherapy. It can be used as a stand alone treatment with about a 20% chance of shrinking tumors up to 50%. He gave us the literature on the drug Vectebix and told us to think about it and see if we wanted to consider adding to whatever alternative treatment Dr. Diaz has to offer. We also discussed a liver procedure to relieve Mark's liver of the build up of bile due to the toxins. He discouraged this saying that a stent would not be likely and a tube placement would present risk and likely alter his quality of life. He was very caring and supportive and will help Mark in whatever treatment he chooses. He says he has had many, many patients utilize complimentary treatments, some of which he was even convinced were effective! We are hoping for the same luck!

Mark is resting, as is the rest of my house! Looks like a pretty lazy day at the Brown house. Makes for great rest! Much love, Missy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLOOOO BROWN FAMILY !!!
Hope you are warm up there on "THE" hill. Hope the house is not as BREEZY as I remember.
Hoping the snow has not detered the good Dr.Diaz. He sounds like he is one that gets done what he says he is going to do no matter the hurdle. Kinda sounds like a couple of people I know...don't ya think Missy ?! David & I are passing the time taking turns on the computor. I color while he is on & he plays games on his XBOX 360
when I am on. Does this sound like a fair trade off to you ? If he would have gotten some games for me to play....I would let him have the computor whenever he wants !
Praying & Hoping & Wishing & Thinking,{however the song goes} that Dr.Diaz' plans are Fruitful. The Doctors seem to be on the same page. PRAYING !
I love narrating my day to you. I won't do it EVERY day, only the funny days ! It is sooo much fun sharing with someone who gives a flip. Laugh of the day= David & I raced each other around the LOOP in the house,each going different
directions, so that if we met at the same place each time, I knew that I was keeeping up with him.
Laugh +++ I was RUNNING & he was strolling.. I lost BOO HOO
As always,
auntie n

Anonymous said...

xxoo
prayers, hopes, dreams,
thoughts, good wishes,
everything we can think of!