Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Date is Set

Hello again,

I know, it is the day after. I set everyone up for big news, and I was just too tired to post. Long day yesterday with traveling, appointment, basketball, tumbling, and a sick child. Thanks to all who made yesterday run a little more smoothly. We couldn't do it without you.

So here is the big news. The date for Mark's colon surgery is set for January 13th. Dr. Crim was very good to us and understanding of our crazy schedules. The timing was perfect to get us through the Archer County Show weekend on the 9th and 10th. He was even more gracious to consider Mark's comfort and defer all examinations on today's visit. Mark reeeaaaalllyy thinks he likes him now!

The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am and will last at least 3 and 1/2 hours and the hospital stay will be 7-10 days. We will be at Baylor Medical Center in Irving. We took the time yesterday to go there and visit and see the facility. We found several important bits of info. The surgery waiting room is large and you can eat in it! There is wireless access in the hospital also. Thanks to Aunt Judy, I can keep you up to date with info promptly while we are there! I know everyone will appreciate that. Parking is free! ( I am always there for the bargain!)

Tomorrow is still a really big day. Mark has his CT scan tomorrow to look at his heart. I guess the January 13th surgery is pending tomorrow's findings. They will be looking for any growth in the size of the aneurysm on his aorta. Needless to say, I have been asking for lots of prayers for shrinkage. (Mark says I must clarify, as this is not a typical manly request!). His aneurysm is quite large and if they see that it has grown over this 8 week period, they will feel that his heart will take priority and his heart surgery would come first. I don't want there to be any question about it (since we are talking about millimeters of change), so I am praying for it to shrink. This would mean that all plans would stay the same.

Whatever the case, it is out of our hands. As is this whole situation. Every now and then I find myself trying to take control (imagine that), or worry about whether we are doing the "best" thing, or whether we are at the "best" hospital with the "best" doctor. In the next breath, I remind myself that we have done what we have been led to do, and no matter what, God is in the driver's seat. No matter who operates or where we are from here on out, all we can do is pray that God is guiding the hands of the people we have entrusted Mark's care to. I just know that if we ever have any questions or doubts, we know exactly where to go.

P.S. I just thought I would add another small request (or little wish) Everyone think SNOW. We are still planning a family Christmas in the mountains and New Mexico has not seen an abundance of snow yet. The kids are hoping for a blizzard before we go!

Love to you all, and stay tuned. Missy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missy and Mark,
Thanks for the update. I will be praying for you guys tomorrow and hope you have a positive report with the doctor. Have a safe trip!
betty dowdy

Anonymous said...

Mark and Missy,
You are still in our thoughts and prayers daily. Hope tomorrow goes well. You've got the first part behind you. Joe & Caron

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the information. I love reading the updates and knowing that our prayers are working. We will pray for shrinkage tonight.
The Schreiber family are your prayer warriors and we even have Katy and Abby naming Mark in their own prayers nightly. You guys are awesome and God would never give you all anything that you could not handle. Love to All - AJ, Jenny, Ty, Katy and Abby

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOU GUYS !
JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW
IN MY HEART IN MY THOUGHTS AND
IN MY PRAYERS
LOVE (AUUNT) NELDA

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely astounded, do you realize that there have been 6,450 hits on your blog. Talk about a prayer base and family and friends that love you. If you ever had a doubt let it go out the window, you are not in this alone. You are loved and lifted up in prayer.
Lil Sis Cindy