Sunday, January 9, 2011

I'm Back.

Did anyone notice I was gone? I am sure everyone pretty much gave up on me! When I got on this morning, I couldn't believe it had been almost 3 weeks since posting. Wow! So long I am not even sure where to start!

We had a nice Christmas. While not what we were hoping for, it was very enjoyable to get to be in the presence of wonderful family. We had hoped that Mark was going to have a couple of good weeks with his break from his chemo. Not so lucky this time. He spent much of the break pretty out of it, never really recovering and getting back to himself. Finally, after a return trip to the doctor after Christmas and some new medications, he perked up and we got to see the old Mark for a couple of days. It was like a breath of fresh air ( or maybe even a little slice of Heaven!) So exciting to see him cracking a joke or just being able to spend a day with us - awake! That was a great weekend. Unfortunately, along with our trip to the doctor came another round of chemo and the misery that comes along with it. At present, he is drained of any energy and is eating very little, with ongoing stomach challenges. We are looking forward to then end of treatment this week. Praise the Lord!

LOOKING BACK- (Okay, here comes my flight of ideas!)

Santa was good to the kids. The boys have only had one chance to shoot their paintball guns. They are ready for warmer weather! Abby was pretty excited about her American Girl Doll clothes and accessories and has started sewing on her new sewing machine she got for Christmas. The look on her face was priceless when she saw for the first time how the pieces fit together to make a dress. She couldn't believe she had made something, and she was hooked!

A huge thank you to my sister, Deanna, for spending a few days with us. She worked so hard at cleaning up old projects and just cleaning in general. Some things - no, many of them have been sitting for a loooong time. I'm thinking since May when we turned our world over again! PRIORITIES. It sure is great to have some of those things out of my sight!

We made it through inventory! Not as smooth as our first year, but probably ignorance on my part made the first year so easy!! Always learning!

No sooner was football over did basketball begin and after school practice, and games (of which I have not gotten to see), and concession stand working. Austin enjoys being a part of it all. Abby had her first game this weekend. She has been practicing for a while now and has been anticipating this first game. It was a pleasure to watch these girls. Some of them are quite competitive (I won't mention any names!) We are really going to enjoy watching these girls grow up together. Landon has taken a little hiatus since fall. Not necessarily on purpose, but it sure has been nice for our schedule.

Abby has a new voice teacher. She was such an inspiration in just one visit! She makes her work hard and will definitely refine her singing, but Abby seems to respond to her and is excited to learn new things.

Another county show has passed. I am so proud of all my kids. They did well at the show, but even more than that, they have been responsible and have worked hard since getting the chickens in mid-November. After they showed in the beginning that they had it under control. Mark and I took a huge break from chickens this year. We didn't even have to be in charge! I know they didn't pull it off without a lot of sibling "Love", but nonetheless, I hope they take a lot of pride in what they accomplished. Thanks to Mark's sister Judy, my Mom and Dad, and Tessa for coming the couple of days before to help get it all together, and to brother Danny for helping get the birds ready to show. The kids placed 2nd, 3rd, and 5th with their chickens at the show and did well at the premium sale last night. We are so thankful to those buyers who reward these kids for their hard work. Thank you! They also had entries in the Home Ec show. Abby placed second with her doll clothes that she made. Austin placed first for his dipped candy, and Landon had the best overall quickbread entry qualifying him to sell it in the auction!!! And to think, he really wasn't so much interested in taking it to the show, he just wanted to eat it!!!

LOOKING FORWARD We are headed to the mountains this week. We are taking the kids skiing. I can't help but feel it is a little bittersweet. The kids are so excited and ready to go, but I am afraid the trip will not be easy on Mark. We will be surrounded by many friends who will take good care of him I know. Throw in an extra prayer this week that God graces him with strength and renewed energy that he hasn't gotten to enjoy in a while (and it will be okay to sneak one in there for good snow too!)

And when we return, Mark will have another scan done. He is scheduled for the 17th in Wichita Falls and then will return to the doctor in Dallas on the 19th.

Love and a very blessed New Year to everyone. Missy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW ! Sounds like you have been Quite BUSY..Does Landon give out the recipe for his AWARD WINNING BREAD ? I would love to have it
(eventho it is NOT a part of David's & my diet !) The mountains sound wonderful. Nothing like that fresh,clean air. So refreshing & it does the mind & body good. Glad to hear that the kids had a great Christmas. You said the boys got paintguns...WELL,Ralphie, from THE CHRISTMAS STORY,made a Surprise visit to our house. David got an
"Official Red Rider BB GUN!) You should have seen this "KIDS" face.
Not a better gift to be had. He every got a T-Shirt with "Ralphie's" picture on it with one lens broken on his glasses
"You will shoot your eye out kid"
He was so excited...but NO BB's !
He & Bryce drove to every drug store & gas station open to find BB
He had to wait until later in the day when the "WOLF PACK" showed up & nephew William presented him with a carton. Then the fighting began.Who was going to site it in;who got to shoot first, etc.. With the mothers in the background, all saying,
"Be careful, you will shoot someones eye out !"
I thank the good Lord for such a wonderful,fun filled,FAMILY packed
Christmas Season. Me, I got a GPS system for my car for the times I may get lost,& my gift from the gift exchange at Mom's found its way under our tree with a tag on it saying "To Susan From SANTA!"
Christmas is the season of giving..
She loved it so Santa saw that it was "given" to her.
May God Bless AlL of You and
Hold you in the palm of HIS hands
for a safe and wonderful journey to the mountains. ENJOY !
In My Heart,In My THoughts and
In My Prayers. I LOVE YOU GUYS,
auntie N

Anonymous said...

Have a safe and happy trip! I think of you always and pray that the Lord continues to bless you.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you guys!!!!Lots of prayers coming your way!!!!
Love you all!
Susan, Jay, and the boys

Anonymous said...

You certainly will be in my prayers. I love you guys, have a great time and be safe on your ski trip. I'll have to come play with Abby and her American Girl dolls since Sarah has grown up.
betty

Anonymous said...

Praying yall have a wonderful trip! Safe travels and special prayers for Mark. Love you guys! Hugs! ~Teresa

Anonymous said...

I did not know what was going on, but I am so happy to know that you are all ok. Have fun on the snow and all of my prayers are with you! Take care and have fun
Always in my heart!
Sandy C.

Anonymous said...

We are praising the Lord Mark has eaten the last 2 days. Miracles for Mark. Just enjoy the next few days and know that we love ya.
Hope you have a wonderful trip and all have good times. Be safe.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! We have missed you! I may not write often but I check the blog EVERY day to know how to pray! Tho' I get a little worried @ you when it's quiet (thinking you may be just totally 'wiped out' in every way, I'm extra glad to find out that your lives are full and busy with GOOD stuff! (Yea Kids!) Hope you have a wonderful trip and that Mark feels well and strong! Love you all! Janet F.