Monday, December 13, 2010

Still Rolling.

Well I sat down to post on the blog yesterday and I was forced to take a Mental Holiday before I even got started. On my end of the blog, I have a link to another blog. You may remember early on in this whole ordeal, God brought to me a mother, Terri, and her 26 year old son Michael. Her husband was deceased and her only child was facing a cancer diagnosis. We bonded then and our paths seemed to have crossed ever since. I usually take time to read his updates first. It had probably been a month since there was any news. And yesterday the news just broke my heart. Michael's cancer has progressed and they have made the decision to not undergo anymore of the grueling treatments he was receiving and have called on Hospice to aid in keeping him comfortable as he is experiencing terrible pain. Well I was done posting at that point. To be honest I was pretty much done doing a whole lot of anything at all. My heart breaks for them, a mother and son who have fought so hard. It sounds like Hospice is taking wonderful care of him and the medications are controlling his pain. How I wish I could help ease the emotional pain for this mother and her baby. Please pray for them.

We have had a pretty good weekend. Of course it started off great, curled up by the fireplace, listening to the Trojans on the radio GETTING ANOTHER WIN!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! We made a last minute very difficult decision not to make the trip to the game. We knew the decision would be great when we didn't have to make the trip back home! Mark wasn't feeling up to it and I was just plain worn out. We are so proud of the boys and are getting prepared for next weekend. State Championship in Mansfield on Friday. Hope it all works out! Austin is having a great time getting to be a part of this run.

Chemo is having its ugly effects again. There is just not a great deal of fun with cancer treatment. Don't you wonder why that is! You would think just having the disease is bad enough, but noooooo. You have cancer and guess what, We're gonna give you a horrible medicine for it. So, not only do you have this stuff, we're are gonna try to make you better by making you feel like you are dying! Something seems a little twisted about that! His appetite has been poor and energy pretty low. Last week his hands and feet were very bothersome as well and they decided to stop his treatment for the weekend to give him some relief. Hands and feet seem to have gotten a little better. He is supposed to call back today for more direction. The good news is he is resting fairly well. Oh, there is the occasional SPAGHETTI SAUCE that keeps him up all night, but other that that he is sleeping quite a bit. It's kind of like the JALEPENO JELLY that Mark absolutely loves. It only took twice for me to know he can't eat it, but he had to go for three strikes!! (I know ya'll thought I was the persistent one!) There are a few thing so far that are absolute NO NOS, but he has to TEST them every now and then!

I almost forgot, huge congrats to my niece Shannon who graduated Saturday and will embark on medical school after next semester. We are so proud of you and all of your hard work!

We love you all and thank you so much for your keeping up and supporting us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your friends. This was one of the reasons I dropped out of Nursing School. I felt I would become too attached to the patients....and I can only stand so much heart break! Sounds like Friday will be an exciting day. Hope Mark is up to it. I have chosen NOT to go. Can not handle the drive and the COLD manhandles ME. Will enjoy the peace and quiet!
Have a great week. Love You GUys,
Auntie N

Anonymous said...

xxoo
Prayers!

Sheila said...

Prayers going up for Terri and her son. Yeah TROJANS!!! Glad Austin is having fun and is a part of the team.
Prayers for your family. Praying for strength and relief for Mark and that your family has a wonderful holiday.
Thanks so much for your posts.
Love to your family.
Bill and Sheila

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family!

Terri said...

Missy and Mark, Little did we know when we met that morning at United Regional that we have mutual family. My cousin is married to Mark's uncle John Brown. We certainly appreciate you asking for prayers for us. The cancer is so aggressive even with Chemo, that there is nothing that MD Anderson can do. We certainly appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Terri Wipperman

Anonymous said...

Continuing prayers for you all and now also for Terri and her son! (God, please be merciful!)
I don't think I will EVER be at peace with the suffering of loved ones, even with this world being so temporary. Guess I still don't quite understand "God's grace."
....On the lighter side, "Mark, jalapeno jelly?!! Seems to me that would be more toxic than the chemo!Yuck!"....Love & Hugs, J/Burk